Sarah Blankenship hired as Arts and Culture Coordinator
Sarah Blankenship has been hired as the new Arts and Culture Coordinator for the City of Georgetown. She will assist Library Services Director Eric Lashley with the coordination, planning, organizing, and execution of the arts and cultural programming. She began work on March 5, and will work 25 hours per week.
Sarah is a visual artist. She graduated from Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah, Georgia in 2002 with a major in Historic Preservation and a minor in Computer Art. Architectural history and historic commercial downtowns have been the major focus of her job for the past 13 years, working as a project design assistant at the Texas Historical Commission’s Main Street Program in Austin.
She has lived in Georgetown for 15 years. From 2010-2011 she served on the City’s Historical and Architectural Review Commission and from 2005-2007 she served on the City’s Main Street Advisory Board. During her time as a Main Street volunteer board member she designed the downtown Georgetown mural that faces Main Street (across from the City Council Chambers building) and coordinated volunteers from the community to paint it with her. She was also involved in painting several of the murals inside the Williamson County Museum in 2007, and the restoration of the “Sanitary Bakery” ghost sign on Church Street in 2015.
The essential functions of the position include:
- Coordinates, plans, organizes, and executes arts and culture programming for the City of Georgetown.
- Encourages and assists the presence and activities of local artists, arts organizations, and creative industries and promotes community-wide arts participation.
- Responsible for maintaining the City’s arts and culture website, e-newsletter, and social media outlets.
- Cooperates and coordinates tourist efforts with the Library, Convention and Visitors Bureau, and Main Street Program to promote tourism to Georgetown and the Downtown Cultural District.
- Responsible for maintaining the City’s Cultural District designation through reporting and programming.
- Serves as a staff liaison for the City’s Arts and Culture Advisory Board, providing recommendations and guidelines related to art selection.
- Provides oversight of the Arts and Culture Grants program.
- Provides oversight of public art installation projects.
- Assists the Library Service Director in writing grant applications and grant management.
Sarah will be a great asset to the City’s arts and culture team. Welcome, Sarah!